Difference between revisions of "Ideas"
|Line 64:||Line 64:|
Revision as of 22:44, 3 May 2013
This pages is for all sorts of ideas and musings that started in #mumble, mostly on improving usability.
The intention of improvements on this page are to increase the potential user base and decrease the barrier to entry for Mumble.
If an average, non-technical user asks "why does this X," or gets frustrated with something, it should end up here.
The Inductive User Interface has these guidelines:
- Focus each page on a single task
- State the task
- Make the page's contents suit the task
- Offer links to secondary tasks
The Windows User Experience Design Principles are a bit more specific:
- Nail the basics
- Design experiences, not features
- Be great at something
- Don't be all things to all people
- Make the hard decisions
- Make the experience like a friendly conversation
- Do the right thing by default
- Make it just work
- Ask questions carefully
- Make it a pleasure to use
- Make it a pleasure to see
- Make it responsive
- Keep it simple
- Avoid bad experiences
- Design for common problems
- Don't be annoying
- Reduce effort, knowledge, and thought
- Follow the guidelines
- Test your UI
I feel like an overwhelming majority of users will click "next" through the wizard until they're "allowed" to connect to something.
A large portion of personal experience with VoIP setups are typically in-game; eg, a new user needs to connect to VoIP as fast as possible.
This person is not interested in complicated configurations, typically has people wait on them, and wants it to get working ASAP.
Link to page: Ideas/AudioWizard
Link to page: Ideas/SettingsPanel
Link to page: Ideas/ACLs
problems with ICE usability/integration
Link to page: Ideas/ICE
INI and server management
Link to page: Ideas/ServerManagement