Mumble is a low-latency, high quality voice chat application intended for use alongside computer games.
Its primary features are:
- Very low latency.
- Denoising of audio.
- Echo cancellation to enable playing on surround speakers.
- Automatic volume control so all players are equally loud.
- Positional audio with supported games (the voice of players comes from their direction ingame).
- Unlimited number of channels with as deep a nesting as desired.
- Per-channel groups and access control lists.
The design goal of mumble is to have audio quality just as good as if you were sitting in the same room, a goal that has largely been achieved. Current emphasis is on interchannel communication, to enable a mumble-connected community to work better than if they were in the same room.