Windows installers translations
The translations are contained in the
installer/Translations/*.wxl files. E.g.
German.wxl for the German translation. To see the files go to github.com/mumble-voip/mumble/tree/master/installer/Translations. To download a file from there, open/download it as raw.
wxl file corresponding to your language, or create one if it does not exist one (copying the English one is a good idea then). For opening and editing, use your favourite UTF-8 capable text editor (for Windows, we recommend Notepad++).
We recommend you use the
English.wxl as a source for translation and to make sure your file does not miss a translation. But if you are better with a different language feel free to check them as a source as well. The files content and syntax should be self-explanatory (only replace/translate text in between the opening
<String> and closing
When you’re done simply submit the file to us, we can handle the rest. Simply create a new ticket in our patches tracker and attach the file.
Alternatively, if you want to take some work off of us, and you’re familiar with the (version control/git) process, submit us a diff-patch, git patch, or a pull-request on github.
After translation a developer will integrate the translation into our codebase. This section describes that integration step.
Integrating an update
- Make sure the file/changes are in UTF-8
- Simply update the
Adding a new translation
installer/Translations/English.wxland rename it to the target language (e.g.
- Open the file with a UTF-8 capable editor (e.g. Notepad++, make sure the Encoding is UTF-8).
- Locate the culture name for the language from Microsofts National Language Support (NLS) API Reference and replace the English
Cultureidentifier with it. E.g.:
<WixLocalization Culture="en-us" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/localization">
<WixLocalization Culture="de-de" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/localization">
- Locate the LCID/Culture identifier number for your language from Microsofts List of supported locale identifiers and replace the English LCID with it (the value should be the same as the hexadecimal value taken from the previous link (Culture) and converted to decimal).
- Integrate all translations into the
<String Id="MUMBLE_CREATE_SHORTCUT">Create Desktop Shortcut</String>
<String Id="MUMBLE_CREATE_SHORTCUT">Desktop-Verknüpfung erstellen</String>
- Add the language to
… <EmbeddedResource Include="Translations\French.wxl" /> <EmbeddedResource Include="Translations\Italian.wxl" /> …
… <EmbeddedResource Include="Translations\French.wxl" /> <EmbeddedResource Include="Translations\German.wxl" /> <EmbeddedResource Include="Translations\Italian.wxl" /> …
- Add the LCID to the language list in
<Package Id="*" InstallerVersion="300" Compressed="yes" Languages="0,1028,1029,1030,1031,1033,1034,1036,1040,1041,1043,1044,1045,1046,1049,1053,2052" />